Why, you ask, is it called the Edel Skirt? Well for starters I thought it’d be a lot of fun to name my creations after saints – because, why not? But more specifically this is the Edel skirt because sometimes you loose your see-thru quilting ruler and use a specific photo booth picture to help you measure out a few distances.
But more about the skirt and less about my questionable measuring practices.
Fabric: Some kind of cotton denim, but probably a synthetic blend.
Cost: $2, thanks a perfectly timed garage sale
Pattern: I used the skirt from this pattern (this is the same pattern I used to make the top of last weeks dress).
Notes: While I used the pattern for the shape I first tried to gather it all the way around and it just looked poofy and wrong, then I tried pleating it and again – wrong. Then I tried some more intentional gathers leaving the center front and sides (exactly one Edel Gathering picture wide on each side 😉 ) smooth and bingo. I also managed to make this a little bit a little big just like my last dress and skirt – thank you female body that changes shape each week – so on this one I added a little elastic to the back to help keep it snug without redoing the whole thing.
Feelings: I love this skirt! I feel great in it and it goes with a ton of things in my closet. In fact, it rescued to “dresses” from the donation pile. The “shirt” I’m wearing above is actually a Forever 21 dress that I love, but sadly quickly went from “flirty” to “only acceptable if you’re a tap dancer and six years old” short in the wash; but it works as a top now! Same goes for a pretty little floral dress that I have where I love the top, but hate the length. Now I have two perfect tops for this skirt with built in slips.
I have one more dress I cut out using the bodice from the New Look 6587 and then I’m done with this pattern. It was fine for a cheap buy to get my fingers back in the groove, but it has some serious construction issues and I’m ready to move on to something a bit better. Ironically I’m used to making my own patterns and figuring out construction – but still not very skilled at figuring out premade patterns, particularly when it comes to figuring out finished size. But luckily these first couple projects came in at a steal of a price – lots of fabric bought for a few dollars at thrift stores or garage sales and it’s the perfect was to figure these things out.
Next up – a shirt!
Shared at Keep Calm, Craft On